On The Quick
Nursing Remains the Most Trusted Profession in 2018
Topping the Gallup poll for the 16th year
If you sometimes find yourself discouraged by the stresses of the job, you can always take heart in at least one thing: the strong confidence the American public continues to have in the honesty and integrity of the nursing profession.
An Outside View
No one will deny that at times, nursing can be a challenging, difficult career. If you read through the narrative comments section of the BRN’s 2016 Survey of Registered Nurses, you might find yourself nodding in agreement at the unhappy sentiments expressed there.
As one respondent remarked, “Nurses are being squeezed by all sides”: heavy workloads; a growing emphasis on profit over patient care; and above all, feeling underappreciated by colleagues, management and patients.
While these frustrations can sometimes shake nurses’ belief in themselves, the public has no such qualms. In the latest Gallup poll of professional honesty and ethics, nurses again ranked a clear No. 1.
Nurses have topped this particular Gallup poll for 16 straight years. In the latest survey, conducted in December, 27 percent of Americans rated nurses’ standards of honesty and ethics as “very high” and another 55 percent rated them as “high.” The combined score, 82 percent, topped the second-place scorer (military officers) by a whopping 11 percent points.
As in past years, nurses were again more trusted than physicians by a substantial margin. Only 16 percent of respondents rated doctors’ ethical standards as “very high”; 49 percent rated them “high”; and 31 percent said they were only “average.” You can read the full results at news.gallup.com.
This article is from workingnurse.com.